- “Father!” The whole of Jesus’ life, together with his death, is expressed in that one word.
- The resurrection of Jesus from the dead is the Father’s reply: “Son!”
- The breath by which these words are uttered is the Spirit.
- The Holy Trinity is the occurrence of this discourse, the history enacted in these utterances.
- The creation is the free and surprising opening-up of space and time by this divine discourse.
- The church is the community enfolded in this discourse, swept up in the breath of these utterances.
- The final consummation is the animation of all creatures by the breath of this discourse.
- All Christian speech and action therefore begin and end with the same word: “Father!”
Celebrating Shakespeare and the Birthday Play
2 hours ago