A friend recently asked if I could suggest the best bits of Barth’s Church Dogmatics – the sections you could read on your summer holiday, if you can’t quite muster the energy to attempt an assault on the whole 31 volumes.
So I suggested the following five sections – for me, these are the great peaks of the CD, the sections where you meet Barth at his very best. And these are the bits that I tend to revisit most often myself:
- from II/2: §33 (on election)
- from III/2: §47 (on time)
- from III/3: §50 (on the nothingness)
- from IV/1: §59.1 (on the Son in a far country)
- the IV/4 fragment (on baptism)